Thursday, January 23, 2020

Collection Catalog Project

I have decided that my collection needs to be cataloged, for my curiosity of what I actually have and for insurance purposes.  I have created a database and plan to catalog every doll, outfit, case, piece of furniture and any other accessory I have.

It will take awhile as I need to research and make sure I have all the correct information of each item.  Pictures will also have to be taken and linked to the catalog number.

It should be.....fun, maybe not but I think it is necessary.  Do you have a full catalog listing of your collection?  If so, I would love to hear about it.

Naturally the first entry will be this lady:


She has been with me through thick and thin since 1962.  And at 58 she looks pretty darn good to me, a little greening at one ear, some facial paint rubs but HEY.....she's 58 and has no work done!  I would do almost anything for her as she has been a great friend.

So she gets top billing in the collection catalog along with my other 3 original dolls.  The rest of the ladies and gents in the collection will just have to fall in line behind the queen and her court.

Thanks for stopping by.......


4 comments:

  1. She's gorgeous! I wish my childhood dolls survived, but I gave them to my sisters as I never thought I'd be collecting Barbie.
    I have a kind of catalogue, I just keep a list of folders that contain all the photos and information on mu dolls, but the best source would be my blog. I started blogging right at the beginning of my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, yes she has quite the bouffant! That is a good idea to put a wrist tag on each doll. It's a great and simple way to keep track of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily my sister was older than me and my brothers kept their hands off my stuff! Folders with pictures are a good idea too. I am taking 3-5 pics of each doll and they will correspond with the catalog # I give it. That is more for insurance purposes, not that my collection is worth that much but if you don't have anything they will give you nothing for it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris. I have over 120+ dolls and as my collection began to grow, it became really important to document what I have. So yes, I do have doll databases. I use an app on my iPhone called, "My Stuff2" which allows me to tailor the catalog according to my needs. So I have organized it into separate "files" for my Barbies, FR dolls, Tonners, "Other dolls," and "Dude Dolls." From there, I break each folder down into doll name (the one I've given), doll family (manufacturer's name for her), ethnicity, hair color, height, date acquired, year of creation, price paid, body (original or rebodied). There's also a place to put a photo of the doll. In addition to this, I've also cataloged their wardrobe. I do this so I know what I have, particularly when I'm looking to locate something or tempted to buy something. What I had not really thought of when I put all of this together was....for insurance purposes. That's a really good point! But your collection may be worth more than you think. What you pay for a doll and later on what it is worth are two different things. I bought a lot of $7-15 dolls when I first started collecting. Some of those dolls are worth many times over what I paid. And even more in Europe!!!

    ReplyDelete