I picked up a few Barbie pack dresses
that are suppose to fit all the new size
gals thinking they might be perfect for
the Model Muses.
Charmayne and Roxanne snatched them
up right away but weren't at all happy
with the fit. While they liked the knee
length, the waist wasn't as form fitting
as they had hoped so they each added
a wide ribbon belt. The fit is much
Once again I am disappointed in Mattel.
The backs of both dresses are made from
a plain fabric rather than the front print
fabric. Honestly, how cheap can you be,
it's doesn't take a lot of fabric, it's not
like the print fabric is that much more
expense and you still have to take the
time to cut out both the front and the
back pieces. I suppose it keeps them
from have to match the prints front and
back but it still disappoints me.
I belong to a Barbie sewing group on FB and
the September challenge was to use 20 pompoms
in an outfit. This 50's day to night ensemble
popped in my head and I had to make it. Modeled
by my original Barbie doll.
The open front swing coat is black kona
cotton lined in a red marbled cotton. Hat
is embellished with black tulle and red
A simple boatneck black sheath of
kona cotton is perfect for any daytime
We add an overskirt of black tulle with
multicolor pompoms for nighttime
Although the fit on the dress could be
better I think the ensemble turned out
well. I love the 50's styles and like
how women utilized these types of
ensembles to expand their wardrobes.
I modified the original halter
pattern making it a full skirted
It's been warm, rainy and humid
here in NW Florida but a break
in the rain allowed the ladies to
take their new frocks outside.
I LOVE the way these dresses turned
out! Both of the halter dresses will
be a staple in the Model Muse closet.
I can't wait to get started on some for
the holidays in satin, lace and velvet!
I also think these are my best doll
photos to date. It was a brutal
photo shoot at 92deg. with a real feel
of 112....crawling under this bush to
set each doll and then trying to take
a good picture with an iPad you can't
really see in the sun. I just pointed
and shot, hoping for the best and was
pleasantly surprised with the photos.
But I think I might ask The Husband
for a small camera for Christmas.
I found a simple halter dress pattern at Janel Was Here . She designed it for
the Model Muse body so I was comfortable
giving it a try. I chose Taryn as my
model and made a sample of muslin.
Although I did read Janel's instructions
I didn't really follow them to the letter
(which I never do). I think it came out
There is a little side gap on the halter
here, but once I tugged the dress down
a bit it fit better.
There is a little bunching at her tush
but that is seamstress error.
It appears Taryn is a tad ticklish and
moved a bit when I was measuring where
to end the waistband......it ended up
being a little to snug. It's an easy fix
and I need to make the halter straps just
a smidgen longer.
I love this dress! I can't wait to make
some in different fabrics. It will look
nice with a fuller skirt and in a variety
of lengths, too!