Sunday, December 21, 2014

Silken Flame 1960-65 #977/Red Flare 1962-65 #939



As I mentioned in the previous post, I longed for these two outfits as a kid. But with 5 other siblings and a limited family budget I didn't always get what I wanted.  It was okay, I understood, that's life. So when I had the means later in life I bought them for myself........at a much heftier price, but what the hey, it's only money.
Both outfits are complete (I do have the gold purse for Silken Flame).  While they did a good job on the reproduction outfit you can tell the difference in the fabric and workmanship.
Brenda and Barbie

The satin on the vintage  has a better hand, more drape than the repro.  The red velveteen is very close in quality.  The repro is a little stiff but it is new and less handled, so that could account for it.  The workmanship really tells the story.  The dress hem on the vintage is hand sewn, on the repro it looks like it is glued down.  The coat lining hem is loose on the vintage and sewn down on the repro.  The gold belt is different on each but about the same quality.  All in all a pretty good copy......except you only got the purse for red flare, I think they should have thrown in a gold purse too.


No comments:

Post a Comment