Sunday, April 23, 2017

Something's Gotta Give

Once again I find myself adrift with my
dolls.  I am at a loss most days when I
get into the doll room.  Do I want to
build dioramas, do I want to write
stories, do I want to sew......ugh!  I
end up doing nothing.  When I am
at work all I can think of is all the
things I want to do but once at home
the plans go out the window.

I am beginning to think I have: 1) too
many dolls (well, I knew that already) and
2) too many ideas I want to do.  I am
overwhelming myself before I get started.

Even when I do decide to do something
I get bogged down.  If I decide to sew,
what and I going to sew? For which doll?
Then it's deciding on the pattern, sifting
through dozens of them for the right one.
And let's not even talk about picking out the
right fabric or trying to find it.....there's
even more fabric than patterns!

Dioramas.....since space is so limited this
is a problem.  I have one 14" x 28" shelf
to utilize (nothing can be lower than 4'
off the ground because of a large nosy
Rottweiler).

I don't know how some of you ladies
do it, you impress me.  You have these
little Barbie villages in your house and
I am envious.

I just don't know what I want to do with
these dolls!!!!  Something that should
be giving me pleasure is causing me
anxiety.

Something's gotta give!


6 comments:

  1. I hear you! I feel this very same way! I so want to work on stories, but then I need to get some dios done! I have so many ideas in my head, just don't know where to start! I am trying not to let this hobby stress me out. I know I need to rehome some dolls and doll things, but it is so hard to let go of them sometimes. I guess for me, I have been doing a bit a time now and not putting myself in the position of saying I need to do a particular thing. Sometimes I just pick something up and start working on it. Like with the body mods I have been doing lately. No I have started a writing area too where I am putting down my story ideas. Someday, I will get something posted -- soon I hope! Try not to let the hobby get the best of you. It should be for your enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! It's nice to know it not's just me that feels this way. At least I don't have the worry about doing body swaps and such....LOL, I leave my dolls au natural so to speak. Popping off heads would really stress me out. Thanks for the pep talk. I have some ideas to get a handle on this and enjoy myself more. Look forward to seeing some of your stories come to life, Phyllis!

      Delete
  2. Speaking as someone who is all over the place with the sewing, dios and stories, I just relax and try to prioritize what I want to do. There are plenty of days when I just want to rest, so I do. Then I think about what's really motivating me with my dolls. I plan 30-60 minutes of focus on 1-2 things. That's it. Just think about what you will enjoy doing today, take your time and let it flow. No pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaye, your storylines and dios are so detailed, I don't know how you do it! I am trying to just take some time and see what I enjoy most and will go from there. Appreciate all the advice and look forward to more stories!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with the others. Why don't you set a schedule where once a month you do a diorama, another week an outfit. Even if you don't want to sew, you can mix and match what you already have into a new look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find something that works for you! Right now I am trying to break things down into smaller tasks. Even if I don't feel like doing a whole project at once, I can usually get myself to do a little bit. Often times, once I start I get the enthusiasm to keep going.

    ReplyDelete