Friday, October 24, 2014

Handmade: by Halina's Doll Fashions/Chicago






Barbara in handmade Halina

Barbara wearing custom Halina Doll Fashion outfit.  Halina Nashan made custom fashion doll clothing for high end department stores in Chicago like Marshall Fields during the 60's.  I remember going to the big Field's store on State Street.  They had an incredible toy department, with glass display counters filled with exquisite handmade doll clothes.  I wanted one so bad, but had to wait many years.
I don't know where I picked up this outfit.  Mrs. Nashan passed away in 1999 but I think she had closed her operation long before that.  Anyway I am glad to have this little piece of doll history.

This is a simple cocktail dress of sheer fabric over off-white taffeta.  The coat is made of the same sheer fabric with rhinestone accent closure.  It's perfect for 'Miss Mummy's Halloween Ball'!

Vintage Handmade: Repurchased

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

  1. This is a lovely dress. Were all her fashions tagged?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do believe they were. If you do an internet search some images will come up.

      Delete
  2. Do you know any other designers from Chicago who made barbie clothes. I am looking for information on a woman named Mae Hanson prodie, who later lived in Sarasota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all Halina fashions are tagged as I have a few that are not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sewed Barbie outfits for Halina starting in 1961. I think she sold the business around 1969. The later outfits don't look like she designed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been told that Halina also made outfits for larger dolls and these were sold at Field's. Do you know anything about that? I have several gowns, sized for Cissy, with netting lining the skirt, like Halina's Barbie gowns, but no label.

    ReplyDelete