Monday, April 20, 2020

Stay At Home Sewing for SunGold Malibu Barbie and the Gang

Like most of the world we are under a 'stay at home order' except for essentials, so I have a lot of time on my hands.  I have been making dust bags for the dolls and slowly cataloging the collection. And I've done some sewing for the dolls in between making face masks.

Since I had all the SunGold Malibu dolls out for pictures and cataloging I decided they all needed a new outfit.



I used the following patterns:


The Ken pants and one shirt were from the pattern top left.  The Ladies outfits were from the bottom pattern.  And obviously Skipper's outfit is from the Skipper pattern.

The pattern for the Ladies is full of simple outfits, lots of tops and bottoms that you can mix and match in different fabrics and colors.  It can be used to build a nice wardrobe.  This pattern is from 2002 but fit these 1983 bodies perfectly.  My favorite is the skirt pattern, it's simple and can be made in any length, they give 2, but you can make any.

The Ken button front shirt I made here is actually made from a 1960's vintage pattern, that is my tried and true for Ken.  I don't recall the number offhand.  I did make the tee shirt style on this pattern and the shorts.  I kind of like the tee shirt pattern, you can use woven fabric as I did here.  The shorts/pants pattern is not my favorite as it has an elastic waist and snap front, I prefer just the snap but it was easy to make up.  This pattern is from 1986 and fit the boys well.

The Skipper pattern is from 1991 and poor SunGold Malibu Skipper is swimming in them!  I have a couple Skippers from the 90's and will have to pull one out and try these duds on her to see if they fit.  Since there aren't a lot of Skipper patterns I guess I will have to try my vintage 60's patterns on her and see if they fit better or adjust this pattern to her.


I must confess I am very slow at putting on fasteners.  It doesn't matter on things that close in the back but a little obvious on Ken's shirts......no buttons! Love this simple skirt.

This Ken shirt was actually the first one I made about 6 years ago, so it has buttons!


I do like this tee shirt pattern, very easy to make up so will make more for sure.

Poor Skipper.....Hammer pants and a baggy shirt!  PJ has my favorite top pattern of the group. A great casual top for shorts, pants of skirts!

Thanks for stopping by.........


2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I love the button front shirt pattern for the guys, the set in sleeves can give a fit at times but it is worth it.
    I don't make a filter pocket. The masks I have made are not for medical professionals. They still offer protection, blocking 50% - 70% of particles. If you Google face maks with filter you should get tons of patterns or check Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been very busy! Your dolls look well dressed to head into summer. Well, maybe Skipper would appreciate something new. ;)

    ReplyDelete